Yes, you read that correctly, you actually can make ice cream "healthy," let us explain...so, as you've read over the past couple of weeks, both M & H are on missions to Be Better in 2013. Like a lot of people do during the New Year, we've re-committed to our healthy routines, and are stepping it up a notch in almost every aspect of our lives. While M's goal is to lose weight and get back to her normal size, H has had to say goodbye to most dairy and is focusing more and more on vegan recipes. However, both of us have a soft spot for sweets...
Enter: healthy ice cream! It's not actually ice cream at all, it's actually more of a frozen banana whip cream, but it sure tastes like ice cream! M found this recipe on one of her favorite blogs, That's So Michelle. All you need are bananas, almond milk, a food processor, and whatever other fruit, chocolate, or other flavors you want to add. Yes, you read that correctly, you can count the ingredients on one hand. Here's how you make it! *please excuse the crappy iPhone photos, M is without a camera at the moment...
1. Cut about 4 bananas into slices, place into big plastic freezer bag. If you're adding other fruit, slice other fruit you'll want to add, and put it in a separate freezer bag.
2. Place in freezer for 2-3 hours.
3. Dump bananas and other fruit into food processor, pulse until you get this consistency.
4. Little by little, add almond milk to the mixture, until you start to see this (see below, like banana whipped cream). Quickly add chocolate chips, peanut butter, cinnamon, vanilla, shaved coconut, berries, or whatever you're adding, pulse a couple more times to completely mix.
5. Pour entire mixture into tupperware container and put in freezer for an hour or two.
6. Remove mixture, put in bowls, garnish with berries or a little shaved chocolate or coconut & serve! I like mine plain or with a couple of chocolate chips.
Do you have any healthy recipes you use to satiate your sweet tooth or cravings to share?