Friday, January 4, 2013

Vegan Enchiladas and Black Bean Hummus

So, in sticking with the goal of listening to my body and reducing my dairy intake I did some experimenting with a favorite vegetarian enchilada recipe to find a dairy-free adaptation.  I found this, the original recipe this is based on, through Pinterest (isn't that site amazing?).  I also had this vegan stuffed shell recipe on hand, passed along by a friend.  Having made both of these original recipes numerous times, and finding some variations of my own to add, I had an idea that I could combine parts of the two to turn my veggie enchiladas into vegan enchiladas.  I took the creamy tofu mixture from the stuffed shell recipe (minus the spinach) and substituted it for the feta portion of the enchilada recipe.  I was nervous as I tried this, but lo and behold, it turned out to be a success!!!

As you read the recipe it might look like a lot of work, but really I just like to break down every little step.  Also, the key to making this recipe easy is the prep work, having everything ready to go before you start makes it pretty quick and simple.  I also acknowledge, this isn't really a "pretty" recipe in the end, but it does taste quite good.


Vegan Enchiladas

Ingredients:

Sauce -
1 Tbs Canola or Vegetable Oil
1 Small Onion
3 Cloves of Garlic
3 Tbs Chili Powder
2 Tsp Ground Cumin
2 Tsp Sugar
1 14 Oz Can Tomato Sauce
1/2 C Water
Pinch Salt & Pepper

Filling - 
1 15 Oz Can Black Beans
1 Tbs Canola or Vegetable Oil
1 Medium Onion
1 Red or Yellow Bell Pepper
1 Zucchini
1 Yellow Squash
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 1/2 C Enchilada Sauce (see above)
1 14 Oz Brick of Firm Tofu
2 Tbs Olive Oil
2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast* See bottom of post for where to find this 
2 Cloves of garlic
1/2 C Minced Cilantro (optional)
Corn Tortillas

Step 1:  As I mentioned above, the prep work for this recipe is the key to keeping this simple.  So for the first step you should dice the onions, bell pepper, zucchini, and squash.  Mince 6 of the 8 cloves of garlic (leave two whole, but peeled).  Drain and rinse the black beans.  Put half of the black beans in a bowl and mash with a fork.


Step 2:  Another prep work step, I know, but I wanted to single this out for those not familiar with  using tofu.  You need to press the liquid out of the tofu.  Here is my method: place a folded paper towel on a cutting board or plate,  place the brick of tofu on the paper towel, place another folded paper towel on top of the tofu, place something slightly heavy (but not too heavy) on to of everything.  I use a set of ceramic measuring cups as my something heavy.  Leave this set-up in place until you reach the tofu blending step below.


Step 3:  Heat 1 Tbs of your oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat.  Once heated, add 3 minced cloves of garlic and the small diced onion.


Step 4:  Saute the onions and garlic until soft and translucent.  Add the cumin, chili powder, and sugar.  Stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds), add tomato sauce and water.  Bring to a light boil, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer while you make the filling. Begin preheating the oven to 425 degrees. 


Step 5:  And now you are ready to make the tofu mixture.  Break the drained tofu into pieces and place in a food processor, add the two whole cloves of garlic, 2 Tbs olive oil, and 2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast.  


Step 6:  Blend with the food processor until the texture is creamy.  Transfer to a large mixing bowl, then just set this aside while you cook the chopped veggies.


Step 7:  Heat Tbs oil in a large pan.  Once heated add the last 3 minced garlic cloves, the medium diced onion, and the diced bell pepper.  Saute until soft.


Step 8:  Add the diced zucchini and yellow sqaush, saute until these new veggies are soft.


Step 9:  Add the whole black beans and mashed black beans.  Saute until well mixed and heated.


Step 10:  Add the cooked veggies, minced cilantro, and 1/2 C enchilada sauce to the bowl with the tofu mixture. Stir together until well blended.

I know, not really pretty, but very yummy!
Step 11:  Use a large baking  dish for cooking the enchiladas, I use my lasagna pan.  Heat the corn tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds, this will make them soft and pliable (although they still might crack like mine did, this doesn't affect the flavor in any way though).  Place a tortilla in your dish, place a spoonful of your filling mixture in the center of the tortilla, roll into a wrap shape and place seam down in the dish. 


I like to cram as many into my dish as possible.

Yeah they cracked on me this time, oh well.
Step 12:  I typically have filling left over and I personally like to add some of this filling to the enchilada sauce prior to pouring the sauce over the enchiladas.  This is totally optional, but something to think of trying.  So now you pour the sauce over your enchiladas and place them in the oven for 15 minutes. 


Once out of the oven serve up and enjoy!

So, maybe not the most Pinterest worthy image, but delicious all the same.
Black Bean Hummus

Sometimes I like to have a little something to snack on while I'm cooking, and this is a perfect little recipe to whip up.  Hummus is kind of amazing, you take some softened beans, add some garlic and oil and seasoning, and just blend until creamy.  I almost always have black beans on hand so this is the simplest hummus for me to make in a hurry.

Ingredients:
1 15 Oz Can Black Beans
2 Garlic Cloves Peeled
1 Tbs Olive Oil
2 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Tbs Lemon Juice

Step1:  Place all ingredients in a food processor.


Step 2:  Blend with the processor until creamy.



Step 3:  Serve up with your favorite dipping item, I like almond nut crackers.  It's really that simple!



*Finding Nutritional Yeast:  Nutritional yeast is a magic ingredient in my opinion.  It has a cheesy sort of flavor so it is ideal for people like me who shouldn't eat cheese but still like food that has a cheese flavor.  Finding this item, however, may or may not be difficult.  I've been seeing more and more recipes calling for it, so I think it should start showing up in main stream grocery stores soon if it's not already there.  I got mine from Whole Foods.  Some Whole Foods sell nutritional yeast in the bulk section, but for those that don't go to the supplements aisle and you will find it in a canister like the one pictures below.  It is a little pricey, this can cost about $13, but the can is HUGE and a little goes a long way so it lasts a really long time.



Have any of you tried making a major modification to a favorite recipe?  How did it turn out?






1 comment: