Friday, December 21, 2012

Egg White Omelettes and Homestyle Potatoes

Omelettes used to intimidate me.  The thought of not only having to cook eggs correctly, but also adding a filling and folding it over without falling apart just seemed too much.  However I eventually decided I would have to give it a try myself when I kept being disappointed by restaurant omelettes.  Am I the only person who doesn't like an omelette with veggies inside that seem barely cooked?  I was quite delighted when I realized that it really isn't that difficult, if you can cook pancakes then you can cook omelettes.  

Because heart disease and high cholesterol run in my family, I have gradually reduced the number of egg yolks in my omelettes so much that I now use none.  I do still indulge though, which is where the homestyle potatoes come in.  So simple but they really make this a full meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

I do feel the need to apologize for the blurriness of some of the photos below, I am much better at photographing people, but I promise I am working on the food photography skills.  And now, without further ado, here are the recipes for egg white omelettes and homestyle potatoes.

Egg White Omelettes - Note you can choose whatever fillings you want, this recipe uses peppers and onions, but you can add mushrooms, ham, cheese, or anything else you would like.

Ingredients:

4 Egg Whites Per Omelette
Small Pat of Butter
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Small Onion
Salt and Pepper

Step 1:  Dice the bell peppers and onion, and heat a saute pan over medium high heat.



Step 2:  Once the saute pan is heated add the diced peppers and onion.  Saute until soft and beginning to caramelize. (This step is my solution to the practically raw veggie problem I kept having in restaurants)


Step 3:  Heat a small saute pan or omelette pan over medium heat, add the pat of butter and melt. Note, add a pat of butter between each omelette you cook to prevent the egg whites from sticking to the pan.


Step 4:  Once the butter is melted and beginning to bubble (but before it begins to brown) add all 4 egg whites.


Step 5:  Once the egg whites have begun to firm (you will be able to easily lift the edges away from the pan with a spatula)  add some of your cooked veggies to one half of the omelette.  Leave some space along the edge so your filling won't fall out once you fold the omelette over and flip it.

(Notice I didn't leave much room along the right edge, so some of my filling slipped out when I flipped this one)

Step 6:  Fold the half of the omelette that you did not put filling on over so that it covers the filling.  You may not have to flip your folded over omelette to finish cooking, but I like to, and it is not that difficult.  Just place a spatula under the open edge and flip it over so that the folded edge stays in the center of the pan and the open edge ends up on the other side of the pan.


Step 7:  Transfer to a plate, add homestyle potatoes (recipe below) and enjoy!


Homestyle Potatoes

Ingredients:

4-5 Potatoes
1 Small Onion
Cooking Spray
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Step 1:  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Dice potatoes and onion.


Step 2: Spread diced potatoes and onion out on baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss together to ensure all potatoes and onion are lightly coated  Place baking sheet in oven.  


Step 3:  Bake in oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until potatoes begin to lightly brown, some onion pieces will turn very dark. Once done remove from oven, add to plate and enjoy!



Do any of you have additional tips for making a perfect omelette?






No comments:

Post a Comment